Girls

Girls

Sunday, July 3, 2011

New & Improved Playroom

I've made a lot of updates to our play room (Amelia still calls it the Art Room).  This room needed to be useful (it was the 'formal' living room - who really uses a room like that?), comfortable and fun for everyone.  Also, it's the first room you see when you enter through the front door so it needed to look good too!  I can't stand having a house where the primary decor is toys - I like to keep it all easily hidden!

 
The last thing to do is replace that awful green tile around the fireplace.  I think a natural stone like Travertine will be perfect.  Above the mantel are bird prints numbered one through eight.  They came from Land of Nod (kids stuff) but I framed them to make them a little more grown up.

It's so great that Amelia can sit and color at her table while I'm at my craft table.  She's no longer sitting on the floor complaining about boredom!  To the left of the craft table is shelving for all of Amelia's puzzles, craft materials, coloring books, musical instruments, etc.


I really wanted big comfy chairs for the playroom so that I could sit and read while Amelia plays (or she can sit and read while I sew - it actually happens!).  Another reason I wanted a sitting area was so I could finally have a place to put my Grandmother's table that has been in a closet for so long.  The chairs came from Ikea and are slipcovered so I can easily wash them (who's afraid of white chairs in a playroom?).  The baskets on either side of the chairs are filled with toys.

This  is Grandma's gorgeous table.  I'm not sure where it came from but she lived in Iran for some time in the 70's so it possibly came from there

The brass crystal chandelier has been replaced!


This is just fabric stretched over a canvas.  I used to have 2 of them but decided to keep only one.  


 I used the fabric from the other canvas to recover the game table chairs (they used to be a bright pink Chinese satin).  


The remainder of the fabric was used for pillows.  These were such a pain to make (if you're ever over, please don't inspect them closely)!


The bear rug found a new home in the pink princess tent.  I've also filled the tent with huge overstuffed pillows - a princess has to be comfy!  I intended to keep the in Amelia's room but once we found out we're having another girl I decided the play room definitely needed a girly touch!



Happy girl!

1 comment: